Thursday, September 22, 2011

Speed.

I told a friend today that as far as running speed, I'm at "dead" and hoping to get to "slug" before Disney. This years speed work consists of Yasso 800's. Named for Bart Yasso who came up with the idea, I've been using it off and on for quite a long time but about nil the last few years. (Remember that smashed ankle thing?)
Simple: Wanna run a Marathon in 4:00 hours? Run repeats of 800 meters (yards will do but meters is just cooler) in 4:00 minutes. Start with about four or five and add one a week till you hit ten the hold it there. Last Yasso workout 10 to 14 days out.
As of today I'm at 6 Yasso's at 3:50. Now I have NO intention of actually trying to run The Disney Marathon in 3:50 but I like a cushion and 3:50 for 800 is comfortably hard for me right now.
And yes, while you're thinking it...Mary Lou and I are returning to Disney for the 7th straight year to run...Her the half and me my 7th Goofy. Keeping the streak alive!
Despite being a drippy, sloppy mess by the end (70* and 90% humidity) I felt good and was able to get in a bike ride later this afternoon.
Next week ...7.

No comments:

Post a Comment